The tv show Gilmore Girls is a guilty pleasure for me. I like to binge watch my favorite episodes while baking or cleaning. During one episode - season 6, episode 9 -- Sookie and Lorelai are in the kitchen preparing dinner. Sookie mentions a Chicken & Dumpling Casserole, just in passing, but my ears perked up and I thought, 'That sounds good!' So, off to the wonderful world of internet and Pinterest I went, looking for recipes. And this is the recipe I put together....
Chicken & Dumpling Casserole
2 Tb butter
2 cups shredded chicken (I used leftover rotisserie)
2 cups veggies
1 cup cream
2 cups milk
3 Tb flour
1 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Melt butter in a medium saute pan and add the chicken and veggies. Saute till warm thru, add flour. Stir well till everything is coated in the flour.
2. Add cream and 2 cups milk, stirring constantly to combine. Let simmer for 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, till it starts to thicken. Pour into casserole dish.
3. In a medium bowl, make the dumplings. Stir together 1 cup flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk the egg and 1/3 cup milk, then pour into dry ingredients and stir to combine. Mixture will be sticky.
4. Drop biscuits by the spoonful on top of casserole. Optional: Sprinkle with parsley for flavor and color. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until dumplings are browned on top and cooked thru.
Notes: There are many alternatives to this recipe!
1) Use broth. As long as the sauce liquids equal 3 cups, you can use any combination of milk, broth and cream.
2) Veggie variety -- I used some frozen broccoli, but carrots, celery, onions, asparagus, peas.... all yummy!
3) Dumplings -- Make buttermilk dumplings! Simply swap the milk for buttermilk and add 1/2 tsp baking soda.
4) For a gift -- prepare casserole and keep covered in the fridge until delivery. Simply attach backing instructions to your disposable baking dish. Add a bagged salad and it's a perfectly comforting charity meal.
Cooking everything in casserole dishes!
With busy lives & sometimes quick meals, we mom & daughters team are always looking for healthy, tasty & convenient dishes to serve our family. So, please join us as we share everything from appetizers to main dishes & desserts!